everyone needs an outlet. vague yet revealing. slightly controversial.

Friday, December 26, 2008

Vegans Taste Better

People seem to be amazed at my ability to cut meat, dairy, caffeine, and processed foods out of my lifestyle. These are all items that I consider non-foods and think twice before the consideration of consuming any of these items.

Most of the food I eat consists of fresh, organic, pure, raw food that has not shot, slaughtered, bleached, processed, canned, or preserved. Forgive me now for the un-willingness to let go of creme brulee, sushi & cheesecake. On the other hand, non-food items such as doritos, soda, store-bought cookies, and milk are snubbed upon.

Christmas is a holiday of indulgence. A time of the year that people are willing to sacrifice their slender or not-so-slender figures, and their strict diets to over-stuff their faces with all of the traditional holiday dishes that knowingly will contribute excess weight around the waistline. Commonly, the guilt eventually sets in, a New Years Resolution is made... and then never followed.

My family, being of no exception, makes the same holiday meal every year: turkey, ham, beef, canned green beans drenched in cheese sauce, buttered rolls, mashed potatoes and gravy, cheese cubes, and summer sausage... blah blah....

My family could not wrap their minds around my decision to not eat most of the foods served. It is challenging for me to give an honest answer to the sarcastic questions being asked by my over-weight family members. Honestly, I tried to ignore the questions (although tough) and simply reassure them that I feel good and am not going to lose weight to the point of anorexia. On my way out, they offered me a plate of ham to take home. Funny.

Last night, an old friend re-surfaced - they always do during the holidays. Although we have not spoken to each other in months, he decided to wish me a Merry Christmas via text message.

I can vividly remember a night last winter that him and I decided to step out and take on the city. On that chilly evening, prior to drinks and dancing at Lumen, we decided to start our evening over Sushi. At that restaurant, he made a few comments that have never left my memory. "I hate picky eaters. I need a girl that is willing to try new things." he said. I nodded in agreement, and reassured him that I was always willing to try new things.

Things have changed since that night. I HAVE tried new things. Plenty of new things - but not the type of 'new things' he had in mind. What's new to me this year is conciousness. Conciousness about the food I feed my body, and better yet the non-food I don't feed my body. I also have a new standard with the guys I will date. He will be concious of the food he feeds his body and will always remain meat-free.

When I informed Bachelor #1 that had re-surfaced of my new vegan-ish lifestyle, he immediately informed me of his dis-interest in me. It's all good - hours earlier, I had informed him of my dis-interest in him. I win.

To meet my standard, Mr. McDreamy must be willing to transform in the form of a Veg.

Afterall, vegans do taste better. No dead, rotting, decomposing flesh in our intestines. At most.... some pineapples and strawberries.




To take it one step further, without laying it all on the line... Did I mention that I frown down upon anyone un-willing to recycle?


*I understand that I contradict myself in this blog calling myself vegan, but admitting to eating foods such as Creme Brulee (OBVIOUS I'm not giving THAT up) & Sushi. I do not attest to being 100% vegan - but I have adapted a lifestyle similar to that of a vegan, and carry the same morals & conciousness.

xox Skinny Bitch

5 comments:

J.R. LeMar said...

I wish I had the discipline to be a vegetarian. But I just don't. I don't eat a lot of meat. Mostly I like burritos. But the main problem with being a vegetarian, or just eating healthy in general, is that it can get expensive. Healthy food costs more. And doesn't last as long.

Albertsons make these great fesh fruit salads, that can fill me up, but they expire within 3 days. I don't want to have to go to back to the grocery store every few days to get new stuff. With the cheap canned fruit, I can stock up for weeks @ a time. It's so much more convenient.

Bird * said...

J.R. LeMar - Thank you for the comment. I understand your desire for convenience with food choicee & preparation, but I do encourage that you take some time to educate yourself on the effect processed, packaged, non-organic food has on your body. Here are some quick resources:

"The impact of our society’s eating habits is playing a tremendous role in the deterioration of our health and the environment. Packaged, processed, genetically-modified, pesticide-laden, chemically-flavored foods are a far cry from resembling a natural food choice. Child-onset diabetes and cancer are a far cry from the conditions children should embrace coming into this world."

http://www.thedailygreen.com/healthy-eating/Dirty-Dozen-Foods

http://www.cyberparent.com/organic-food/

http://www.skinnybitch.net/index.html

And honestly, being vegetarian/organic/healthy does not take much discipline. It is an addictive lifestyle.

xox Bird*

J.R. LeMar said...

Oh, believe me, you don't have to sell me on the concept. I know it's better. I don't even need to look it up, it's pretty obvious. I mean, who needs a doctor to tell them that fresh fruit is healthier than fruit from a can? I'm just saying, it does take a bit of a financial commitment, which isn't always the easiest to stick to.

Single Serve Be Gone said...

I think it is amazing when people are driven to be vegan. Way to go Bird! I just read this and I am feeling my will-power is going to be motivated by my ethical duty:

The statistics say it all:

Livestock production generates almost 20 percent of the world’s greenhouse gases -- more than the entire transportation sector. If Americans reduced meat consumption by just 20 percent, it would be as though we all switched from a sedan to a hybrid. (New York Times)

Animal factory farms pollute U.S. waterways more than all other industrial sources combined. And you’d save more water by refraining from eating a pound of beef than you would by not showering for an entire year. (E - The Environmental Magazine)

Producing 1 kilogram (2.2 pounds) of beef emits more carbon dioxide than does going for a three-hour drive while leaving all the lights on at home. (The Guardian)

Rice Candy said...

They do taste better, I agree. even though I have only been a Vegan for 5 years. But it has been one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Vegan Pig